Prayer Guide 12.29.18
Pray through Scripture
Choose one chapter to pray through.
- Psalm 29: Ascribe to the Lord Glory
- Psalm 59: Deliver Me From My Enemies
- Psalm 89: I Will Sing of the Steadfast Love of the Lord
- Psalm 119: Your Word Is a Lamp to My Feet
- Psalm 149: Sing to the Lord a New Song
- Proverbs 29: The Influence of Wisdom or Foolishness
Pray for Your Church
- That the church’s primary teachers grow in dedication to God’s Word even when no one’s watching.
- Keith & Bethany Wipf
- Nate & Sue Wipf
- Jack, Kelli, Ellie, William, Hudson & Benjamin Wuest
General Church Prayers
- Update from Lynda Whyrick: Pearl, her husband Mario and daughter, Sam arrive in WI; however, Sam’s white blood count was up and they were not able to perform the surgery. They are heading back home to be with their other two daughters for Christmas. They will schedule the surgery during 2019. Thank you for keeping them in your prayers. Still no word on Pearl’s test results for the nodule in her lung. Lindsey will have sinus surgery on December 26. Continued prayers, please for a successful surgery along with a full and fast recovery for Lindsey, for clear test results for Pearl and for strength and ever growing faith for the entire family.
- From Isaia Aricayos: Hello, we are asking for prayers for my family and Dad specifically. The doctors completed a CT scan due to pain in his lower back and found what they are almost certain is prostate cancer. Additional scans have found cancer in his left lung and lymph nodes as well. He has a biopsy today to confirm their findings so far and develop a treatment plan. Thankfully, my brother has been available to help with doctor appointments and keeping us informed. Your prayers are appreciated!
- That God would help us to pay off the church building.
Pray for Your Husband
Pray that your husband will surrender his time and talents to the Lord. Pray that his spiritual gifts will be manifest in his career, at church, and in your home. (Eph. 5:15-16; 1 Cor. 12:4, 7)
Pray for Your Wife
Pray that your wife will be a woman of faith and passionate love for God, not giving in to worries, fears, or an uptight and anxious spirit. (1 John 4:18; Prov. 3:5-6)
Pray for Your Children
Prayerfulness—”Grant, Lord, that my children’s lives may be marked by prayerfulness, that they may learn to pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers.” (1 Thess. 5:17)
Pray for Your Singleness
To keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:7–10)
Help me see every loss or disappointment, every moment of loneliness, every unfulfilled dream or desire, and every evidence of weakness as an opportunity to remember and enjoy the strength, hope, and rest you bought for me with the blood of your Son. Remind me that you are working all of this, every inch, in every way, for my good.
Pray for Unbelievers
Pray for a burden to plead for their souls. Paul was willing to tell the church at Rome of his great longing to see the salvation of the lost. Do you share this deep longing? Pray that God would give you a great burden for souls. “Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved” (Romans 10:1).
Pray for the Nations
Republic of Uganda
Area: 241,551 sq km
Much of the land is fertile and well watered. The climate is temperate in the highlands. Long known as the “Pearl of Africa”.
Population: 33,796,461 Annual Growth: 3.32%
Official language: English, Swahili Languages: 45All languages
Largest Religion: Christian
|Religion||Pop %||Ann Gr|
Challenges for Prayer
Uganda has worked hard to recover from the devastation of the Amin and Obote years and has made great strides to this effect. Pray for peace both regionally (Congo-DRC, Kenya, Sudan, Horn of Africa) and internally (Lord’s Resistance Army). Pray that the government might exercise its authority with even-handed honesty and a true concern for its own people.
Christian support ministries:
a) The Bible Society has done much to promote new Bible translations and to publish Bibles, but sales are less than what they were in the 1980s. All Christian literature ministries are similarly crippled, but The Bible Society, Gideons and others distribute several hundred thousand Bibles and NTs every year. Thirteen languages remain without God’s Word and a further 18 have only part of the Bible. SIL is assisting in this ministry task. Pray for the provision of Scriptures to all, in their own language.
b) Audio Scriptures and teaching are vital due to poverty, illiteracy, the widespread oral culture and unstable conditions.
c) MAF’s flying programme has blessed many – their planes enable ministries to serve churches, refugees, health and vaccination programs, development work and many others.MAF’s work focuses on the least developed, most vulnerable and insecure regions such as the northeast.
d) The JESUS film is available online in at least 40 languages. Pray for Life Ministry, COTN and other teams showing the film around the country.
e) Christian radio and TV programmes air on the national network and are growing in impact and influence. Evangelical presence is felt through seven FM radio stations and two TV stations, although such influence is more significant in Kampala than in the countryside. Pray for effective programming and lasting fruit.
(Prayer information gathered from Companion to Pray the Bible, Revive Our Hearts, The Gospel Coalition, Desiring God, Challies & Operation World)