Prayer Guide 12.30.18
Pray through Scripture
Choose one chapter to pray through.
- Psalm 30: Joy Comes With the Morning
- Psalm 60: He Will Tread Down Our Foes
- Psalm 90: From Everlasting to Everlasting
- Psalm 120: Deliver Me, O Lord
- Psalm 150: Let Everything Praise the Lord
- Proverbs 30: The Odes of Agur
Pray for Your Church
- That it would grow in being distinct from the world in love and holiness, even as it engages outsiders.
- Bob & Regina Yackey
- Mike, Lindsay, Jayden, Brecklyn, Garrett & Addisyn Yackey
- Steve, Kandice, Wyatt, Clarabelle, Kendall & Everett Yackey
General Church Prayers
- Update from Lynda Whyrick: Pearl, her husband Mario and daughter, Sam arrive in WI; however, Sam’s white blood count was up and they were not able to perform the surgery. They are heading back home to be with their other two daughters for Christmas. They will schedule the surgery during 2019. Thank you for keeping them in your prayers. Still no word on Pearl’s test results for the nodule in her lung. Lindsey will have sinus surgery on December 26. Continued prayers, please for a successful surgery along with a full and fast recovery for Lindsey, for clear test results for Pearl and for strength and ever growing faith for the entire family.
- From Isaia Aricayos: Hello, we are asking for prayers for my family and Dad specifically. The doctors completed a CT scan due to pain in his lower back and found what they are almost certain is prostate cancer. Additional scans have found cancer in his left lung and lymph nodes as well. He has a biopsy today to confirm their findings so far and develop a treatment plan. Thankfully, my brother has been available to help with doctor appointments and keeping us informed. Your prayers are appreciated!
- That God would help us to pay off the church building.
Pray for Your Husband
Pray that your husband will serve God and others with pure motives. Pray that he will obey the Lord from his heart, and glorify Him in everything. (1 Cor. 10:13; John 7:17-18; Col. 3:23-24)
Pray for Your Wife
Pray that the Word will be her counselor, and that she will serve the Lord with gladness, and encourage others to worship with a joyful, surrendered spirit. (Isa. 61:3; Ps. 119:24)
Pray for Your Children
Gratitude—”Help my children to live lives that are always overflowing with thankfulness and always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Eph. 5:20; Col. 2:7
Pray for Your Singleness
He gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love. (Ephesians 4:11–16)
Surround me with people who love me, and who you love more than they love me, especially while I would otherwise live alone. Reveal things about me to me through their eyes, their faith and maturity, and their words. Make me a healthier, more effective member of the local church. Give me a deep, abiding, and growing desire to serve her in whatever ways I can. Rescue me from the blindness and self-centeredness of isolation.
Pray for Unbelievers
Pray for boldness in generating and taking opportunities to speak the gospel. Even Paul longed for this boldness and for the confidence that he was speaking the right and best words. Pray that God would give you the boldness and, that when you take the opportunities, that he would then guide your words. “[Pray] also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel…” (Ephesians 6:19).
Pray for the Nations
Republic of Uganda
Area: 241,551 sq km
Much of the land is fertile and well watered. The climate is temperate in the highlands. Long known as the “Pearl of Africa”.
Population: 33,796,461 Annual Growth: 3.32%
Official language: English, Swahili Languages: 45All languages
Largest Religion: Christian
|Religion||Pop %||Ann Gr|
Challenges for Prayer
Uganda has worked hard to recover from the devastation of the Amin and Obote years and has made great strides to this effect. Pray for peace both regionally (Congo-DRC, Kenya, Sudan, Horn of Africa) and internally (Lord’s Resistance Army). Pray that the government might exercise its authority with even-handed honesty and a true concern for its own people.
Christian support ministries:
a) The Bible Society has done much to promote new Bible translations and to publish Bibles, but sales are less than what they were in the 1980s. All Christian literature ministries are similarly crippled, but The Bible Society, Gideons and others distribute several hundred thousand Bibles and NTs every year. Thirteen languages remain without God’s Word and a further 18 have only part of the Bible. SIL is assisting in this ministry task. Pray for the provision of Scriptures to all, in their own language.
b) Audio Scriptures and teaching are vital due to poverty, illiteracy, the widespread oral culture and unstable conditions.
c) MAF’s flying programme has blessed many – their planes enable ministries to serve churches, refugees, health and vaccination programs, development work and many others.MAF’s work focuses on the least developed, most vulnerable and insecure regions such as the northeast.
d) The JESUS film is available online in at least 40 languages. Pray for Life Ministry, COTN and other teams showing the film around the country.
e) Christian radio and TV programmes air on the national network and are growing in impact and influence. Evangelical presence is felt through seven FM radio stations and two TV stations, although such influence is more significant in Kampala than in the countryside. Pray for effective programming and lasting fruit.
(Prayer information gathered from Companion to Pray the Bible, Revive Our Hearts, The Gospel Coalition, Desiring God, Challies & Operation World)